What's the most unusual aspect you've noticed about Italy?

When I first arrived here, I immediately noticed all the stores were closing at lunchtime. Then everything was closed for at least a couple hours, and you could see store owners re-opening around 2 p.m. - 3 p.m.

I can’t be the only one who found the Italian siesta to be unusual :slight_smile:
It’s a concept most foreigners aren’t used to. Some say it’s a good thing, others dislike the idea. But either way, it’s a law requirements so there’s not much you can do about it anyway :smiley:

What about you? What are some of the unusual aspects you’ve noticed about Italy and Italians?

That’s definitely something that tends to stand out rather quick. Especially when you are in need of something and you weren’t aware of this custom.

I would love to have a break of a few hours at midday to catch up with friends/family at a cafe, hit the gym, take a walk .etc, rather than 8-9 hours of straight work.

Wow that would be quite unusual. I once Vacationed in Saudi Arabia and they usually close whenver it is the 5 daily prayers in Islam, so around 5 in the morning, 12PM, 3PM, 6PM and 8PM.