What is the crime rate in Italy?

I am just wondering how safe is Italy is. I’am planning to visit their soon. By knowing it, I can at least know what to do and not to do.

Well, for starters we can look at some of the statistics. Concerning the murder rate, in 2012, the national rate was about 0.9 per 100,000 population, with a total of 530 murders that year. This is considered to be one of the lower rates in Western Europe. To give a comparison, the average murder rate for the United States is 4.9 per 100,000 inhabitants. Quite a difference.

Concerning sexual violence, Italy has a lower per capita rate of rape than most other countries in the European Union. It’s worth mentioning that the rate of sexual assaults is significantly higher in the Northern region of Italy than in the Southern ones.

For robbery, there were on average about 110 robberies reported per 100,000 inhabitants, which is slightly higher than the rate in the United States, which is around 102.8 per 100,000. These numbers obviously fluctuate as some cities are particularly less safe than others, as is the case anywhere in the world.

In general, I wouldn’t feel unsafe going to Italy, so long as you don’t have a metaphorical neon sign over your head, reading “I’m a dumb tourist, please take advantage of my vulnerability.” Just do some research online for which cities/areas have the highest crimes rates, and plan your trip accordingly.

Italy has a relatively low crime rate, but the number of crimes related to pickpocketing is increasing. Beware of pocket thieves at airports, railway stations, public transport, museums. Never leave your luggage. The most dangerous places are stations in major cities, including Termini in Rome, the Central Station in Milan, Santa Maria Novella in Florence.

That is a nice advise. Actually, increasing number of crimes related to pick-pocketing never crossed to my mind when it comes to Italy. I guess we should just be alert to our belongings at all times and to any where.

I haven’t heard of alot of crime in Italy, other than pickpockets and the like. I think safety precautions should be taken but it is likely you will not be a victim of violent crime there.

Honestly, I think Italy is very safe for tourists. Never heard from international news about crimes and problem encounter by the tourist while traveling in Italy.

Italy attracts a lot of tourists every year. While a very safe country, some parts of Italy’s cities are best to be avoided, and pickpockets can be a problem near some touristic landmarks. There are a lot of scammers and con-artists trying to take advantage of tourists, particularly in large cities and around major landmarks in Italy. Be aware of “gold ring” tricks, fake petitions, groups of teenagers acting strangely or trying to distract you, and people offering help with your luggage.