Trying the casual cycling

With Italy’s beautiful views, it seems perfect (and somehow romantic) to enjoy the bright morning or the sunset as we cycle around the city. Which cities you think are the most friendly for tourists who are interested in cycling? How are the big towns compared to the countryside? I’ve never tried this kind of activity abroad, so I’m not sure if it’s easy enough to do.

There is actually a Tuscany Cycling vacation. That part of the country is beautiful so I’ll bet the cycling is amazing. Just to get out in the fresh air, get some exercise and then follow up with some wine and cheese. It sounds like a little piece of heaven.

Thanks for sharing! The trip seems a bit too intense for my cycling level, though. Have you ever tried cycling in the areas mentioned more casually? For example, I wonder if you know about a simple-but-lovely track around Siena.

I also appreciate how Italians include culinary vacation regardless of the tour theme. Such a well-designed package.

Italy is very bike friendly and there are many such tours, so if you come across one in the area you’re visiting hop on (or should I say “cycle on”). They’re aimed to be leisurely, easy going, so as long as you casually bike at home you shouldn’t have any issues keeping on.

If you are after intensive tours, those are to be found in Northern Italy, where most of the popular peaks are, if you want to follow in the steps of Giro d’Italia.

I have actually only rented a bike once while on a city trip. This was in Berlin. I found two things:
1: Other countries than my own are a LOT less bicycle friendly. Berlin was bad, but I imagine Italian cities being worse. Being Dutch, I am pretty confident on a bike, but I guess that those who did not grow up cycling may find it a bit daunting.
2: A bicycle in the city is awesome. You see everything better than from car (or subway), you get some excercise, and you are capable of doing more kilometres than by foot. Often, you’re even faster at your destination than with a car, expecially when you take parking into account…

In your case pretty much ANY other country is less bike friendly. The Netherlands is the most bike friendly country there is.

My brother and I are used to do cycling on Sundays and I always ask him to bike during sunset because it really feels relaxing, calm and motivating (a motivation to start your day on the following day which is the start for another busy and tiring weekdays of work). One thing that I won’t want to miss when I visit Italy is cycling. I know there are certain places there that are suitable for biking.

I hadn’t thought of cycling in Italy. Maybe because I can’t imagine doing so in Rome - and the rest of the places I’ve visited were pretty mountainous. But now I’ve learned from you lot that Italy is very bike friendly I think i might check out a bike tour. Thanks for the ideas.

You can find good places to cycle throughout Italy. Veneto and neighboring Friuli-Venezia-Giulia make a great place to start, with cities like Verona, Vicenza, Padova, and Venezia. Or you could try cycling along the Po taking in Mantova, Ferrara, Ravenna and on to Venezia, Aquileia, and Grado.

Yes, I agree with the others…maybe the countryside in Italy would be the best place to bike. I am not sure that the cities would be the best place to try to do biking. However, it is certainly a nice alternative way to see the country.

I definitely think countryside areas would be best, but just remember that some parts of Italy are extremely hilly, so they can be pretty arduous to cycle through if you’re not fairly athletic already! The views you get though are worth a bit of huffing and puffing!