Top ten things to see/do in Italy

When I visit Italy, what would you suggest for the top 10 things to see and do? I know I want to visit Pompeii and eat the food but, with a limitied time frame, what else should be on my agenda?

Italy is a great place with amazing culture. Two of the most popular destinations include the Colosseum and the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I believe it’s a must do for tourists to take selfies there. You also might enjoy taking a gondola on the canals and checking out the shops. My favorite, though, is exploring Vatican City where you’ll find the Sistine Chapel.

Hi Maria,

How much you want to do will depend on the amount of time you spend in Italy, and of course it also greatly depends on what your interests are and which part of Italy you plan on visiting… . Here are a few things…

• I know I’m repeating myself like a broken record, but… go and see an opera performance. It would be a shame to not do that while in Italy.

• If you’re interested in history, by all means, visit the Greek ruins in Sicily. Walk through the valley of the Temples and experience a touch of the old days.

• Just like Italy and opera go together, Italy and football go together too. While in Italy, visit a statium and watch a soccer game.

• Visit Pompeii. It would be a pity to not have seen Pompeii while visiting Italy.

• Visit the leaning tower of Pisa. Be one of millions to walk the steps to the top of the tower.

• Eat the typical and especially healthy Italian food. Visit local restaurants, forget about Mc Donalds. Have a taste of Italy, through food as well as through wine.

• Visit the Italian Alps if you are a lover of nature, hiking and adventure.

I loved the Colosseum but I didn’t get to go to the Vatican the last time I went. I definitely intend to go there on my next trip. I can’t wait to see the Sistine Chapel and Michelangelo’s masterpiece. The Sistine Chapel is located in the Apostolic Palace, the home of the Pope and also the location of the Papal conclave (the process by which the new pope is selected). The Vatican has such religious, historic, not to mention artistic value, you really should not miss it.

Lets see, off the top of my head

• Colosseum
  • Pompeii (put this one sentence or this whole list would consist of things in pompeii)
  • Canal Rides
  • Check out the local clubs
  • Leaning tower of Pisa
    *Go Skiing

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but whichever city you’re sin, Eat local food and take in the sights!

Oh!! Thank you all so much. Now I’ll have to sit down and plan out my itinerary. I know I want to see Pompeii and take a canal ride. The Colosseum would be great to visit as well as the leaning tower of Pisa. I’m not a big sports fan so I could skip the football but the Sistine Chapel will be near the top of my list. I’m so excited. Thank you all for your suggestions.

If nothing else, you should definitely check out the food and the coffee. I think Italy has some of the best coffee in the world.

I’d say the Colosseum, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Venice, and Pompeii take the cake in terms of must-see sights in Italy! Personally, I am trying to go to a place off the beaten path.

Does it actually snow in Italy and how much does it snow? When I think of Italy I do not think of it as a place to go skiing. Not like here in Canada anyways but if you can go skiing in Italy that’s cool. I did not know that before.

Most think of the summer and sun when Italy comes to mind, but Italy has some of the best ski resorts in Europe thanks to the Alps in the north that form a natural borderline with France, Switzerland and Austria.

Most famous ski resort that comes to my mind is Cortina d’Ampezzo, the equivalent of Capri in the winter. What is Capri for a summer holiday, the same is Cortina for a winter holiday.

I plan on going to see the Colosseum in person in Spring. My fiance is very keen on seeing it as well. I remember seeing it in history books growing up and being fascinated by it.

I would recommend you to visit Sicily. It is so much different from the mainland. Even the people consider themselves totally different and are proudly stating that they are Sicilians and not Italians, even if they are part of the same country.

Hahahahah… This reminds me of my summer holiday in Italy. of course Italy is a great place with amazing culture. The last time I visited Italy, I can remember that amongst the things I love doing is visiting the Valley of the temples, the pompeii and also taking a canal ride.

I’d love to see ALL of Italy! But yes, Pompeii and the Colosseum are on my “to do” list as well!
I’d also love to see the Amalfi coast and Alberobello. Those Italian huts are so interesting! I’d love to visit the area one day.