The Many Artists, Scientists, Operas, Violins, etc. that are Italy

There are so many of the most famous people that we learn about in school that actually came from Italy. Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) argued that earth revolved around the sun, so the Catholic Church imprisoned him in his own house. The Church officially apologized in 1992. :innocent:

It took them that many years to apologize? I didn’t even know Catholics lived that long. LOL But in all seriousness, they have nothing to say sorry for. They didn’t do it to him, the Catholics at the time did. That is younger white people today apologizing for black oppression and slavery. Makes no sense.

I do remember hearing about this though. He was a very smart man, way ahead of his time.

Yeah, what is up with the Catholics of today? Should it really take that long to apologize for a botched arrest? Probably not, however, but Catholics move slowly on everything. Are never in a hurry to screw up if you know what I mean. Quick to forgive and get you to heaven though.

Man if Catholics lived that long I know what I’m converting to lol.

In all seriousness though. I guess the Church didn’t really feel a NEED to apologize formally till 1992. I mean, Galileo was vindicated in the fact he was RIGHT. and in that moment all of the changers and thinkers at the time shifted. Heck, there had even been official Vatican astronomers since who worked off of Galileo’s works, and expanded upon it.

History is weird in how it’s never black and white, and there’s always something in the background to make things just muddied.

LOL! That gave me a hearty chuckle!

Indeed Galileo was a revolutionary thinker, Wonder where we would be right now if it weren’t for him, surely someone would have come up with the theory, but at a much later date!

I think we’re getting off topic people. Let’s focus on the Artists.

Anyways. one of my favorites has to be about Brunelleschi’s Dome in Florence. Designed by Filippo Brunelleschi. How the dome, by all accounts, should not exist, how it was constructed, and how it continues to dominate the city’s skyline even now.

There’s just somthing oddly beautiful about it. Especially if you’ve seen it yourself.

I don’t think we’re off-topic. Galileo is definitely an important Italian scientist. Not only did he correctly argue that our solar system rotated around the sun, he also discovered Ganymede, Europe, Io and the Rings of Saturn. I really want to visit his recently renovated villa in Florence.

I was curious about another thing that originated in Italy which is the violin. They currently have disagreements as to who developed the first violin. But, no one can dispute the violin that brought the highest price at auction: In May of 2006, a violin made by Antonio Stradivari, known as “The Hammer”, was sold by Christie’s auction house for the record sum of $3,544,000. Based on the current exchange rate (0.692501), that’s €2,454,223!

Stradivari violins are the best in the world, and there are also only a limited number that have ever been made. Each one is custom crafted and some are made from exotic woods as well, I think. That is exactly why they sell for such huge amounts of money.