Small addiction to Gucci

Italy has such flavor. One of my favorite Italian products (although I read on wiki that it is now owned by a French company. Is that still true?) comes from Gucci. I’m bordering on obsessed, which is bad because I really can’t afford Gucci right now like I really want to. Ugh! I’m so upset about this! And summer is coming, it’s practically here and what I want to add to my wardrobe is a nice, crossbody bag for the summer.

Is anyone else here obsessed with Italian Gucci, or is it just me?:star_struck:Please tell me someone here has a personal collection of Gucci handbags with pictures they would like to share?:heart: If you are into Gucci bags, do you have a favorite place where you shop for them? Do you have any thoughts on counterfeit handbags and wallets?

Oh yeah, Kering acquired Gucci a little over 15 years ago (I think). If it helps, you’re not the only one struggling with an addiction to high-fashion products with a non-high-fashion budget. I usually allow myself to have one splurge item a season. It’s usually shoes or a purse since they can be worn with a bunch of outfits, and I’ll get that “new bling” feeling many times without having to break my bank account too many times.

Ah, I’ll have to get some pictures together of my Gucci handbags to share with you. Do you have pictures of your collection? I usually get mine from Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom. Sometimes, I’ll check them out there and then try and find a lower price online. I’ll even buy them gently used sometimes.

I’m not too big on counterfeits. I’d rather just get a purse from a more affordable designer than get something fake. I usually find the quality of counterfeits to be absolutely cringe-worthy.

You’re going to get some pictures together of your Gucci handbags, plural? I’m a bit jealous, I must say. Sadly, I don’t have any Gucci bags… not one! I had one a few years ago, and I was obsessed with it. And guess where I bought that bag from? Neiman Marcus, just like where you say you usually purchase your bags.

I miss that bag (insert sad violin music here). I liked that purse so much, I still have the receipt! I refuse to get rid of it. It costed me about $389.00, was a crossbody, embossed with the classic print. Ugh. Beautiful.
My cost of living went up where I was staying, and add to that my son
was in private school (also known as a “large-bill-every-month school” :rofl:) so I decided to sell certain things, my bag being one of them.

Sometime during that time, my darling mother bought me a Dooney and Bourke. Is that Italian? I’ll have to look that up… at any rate, I decided to sell that too. Since then, except for one thrift shop find, I’ve been “high fashion purse-less”.

I would love, and I mean love to see your collection. I think it’s a great idea to buy yourself one splurge item a season. I think it’s a good thing to combine ones love for fashion with smart financial discipline, that way you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

I don’t like counterfeit either, but I must admit one time I think I bought a counterfeit Louis Vuitton. I was in a thrift store in a fancy part of town, where even the thrift stores look like high end boutiques, I kid you not.
And… the people who work there think they are actually working at Prada.:face_with_monocle:

The LV bag was there, and it was cheap, so I bought it. It might have been real, considering where I was when I purchased it, but I don’t know for sure. I used it so much that I wore it out. That was a great bag.

Yes, plural. I have three. I have one from Neiman Marcus, one I got as a hand-me-down from my mother, and another that I saw at Nordstrom but didn’t buy until about a year later when I saw it for a great price on eBay.

Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do to keep things going. I’m sorry you had to say goodbye to your handbag. It sounds like it was amazing. But I’m sure it wasn’t as amazing as your son’s education. :smiley:

I love Dooney and Bourke. It’s American, actually! (I’m sure they would be flattered that you thought it might be an Italian designer.)

I’m so sorry I haven’t gotten around to photographing them yet! I know I probably have them somewhere on my Instagram. I’ll message them to you when I find them!

I actually got the “one splurge item a season” idea from an exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum. They had this huge display of shoes from a personal collection. They said the woman’s mother had started buying her one expensive pair of shoes each season when she was young and she continued that throughout her life. The collection was so beautiful (and massive). I love shoes, but I wouldn’t want all of my money to go toward them. So I tweaked the idea a little.

Oh, I know! Those stores can be very tricky with their counterfeits. Some are very obvious, but there are some that are done really well. I was talking about the cheaper, more obvious ones. Some of the trickier ones can be very good! It’s sad though. If they have good purses, why try to pretend to be a different brand? They could probably sell their bags on their own if they’re good enough!

I’m looking forward to seeing your purse photo(s)! Hopefully I don’t sound too eager… I think I might need some type of purse-love intervention.:blush:
I think it’s great that you tweaked the shoe collection idea. I love shoes too, but not in the way that I like purses. Shoes are running a very close second though, to be sure.

I think hand-me-down purses from family are great, even better if they’re from your mom. And if your mother is fond of Gucci, and one day her purses make their way to you when she upgrades, or wants a new style of Gucci, that’s great. I love that!

And you’re right about the education. Beautiful Italian handbags may come and go, but you kind of have to get the education thing right when you’re doing it.

I was sorry too when I had to say goodbye to that fabulous crossbody, but looking on the bright side, it’s great that kind of re-selling service is available if you want to use it, consignment shops for purses and stuff like that.

One of the ladies who worked in the office at my son’s school asked me how much I got for the bag, and after I told her she said, “I would’ve given you more than that!”

Lol, really? Now you tell me.:roll_eyes: :rofl: I wish I would have known she was in the market for that type of purse before I took mine to a consignment shop.

As far as personal taste goes, I like Dooney and Bourke, but I love them because of my mom. My love for Gucci is all me. Recently I’ve been thinking about maybe investing in a Prada bag. I love fine Italian goods, but I don’t know much about Prada at all. I might be able to only afford a key chain!

Your idea of buying one splurge item a season seems like something I should try and do. My challenge might be trying to be patient and save for that luxury item as opposed to spending my money throughout the season on 10 to 15 cheaper purses or wallets.

I love shoes but it’s so hard for me to find good shoes. My feet are weird and a lot of shoes don’t fit right. It helps me keep my shoe collection under control.

It really is great! She has some Louis Vuitton luggage I hope makes it way to me at some point. They used to belong to her mother. LV luggage really does last forever.

Exactly! Besides, he might use that education to be super successful and can afford to buy you all the purses you want. :wink:

Consignment shops are great - both for sellers and buyers! It’s also nice to know that people who usually shell out that kind of money for handbags are going to treat them well. Too bad you didn’t ask the lady at your son’s school first though!

You’ll have to let me know if you end up getting something from Prada! I’ve never gotten anything from them but they’re definitely on my “I wish I owned” list.

You should totally give it a try! It’s a nice way to treat yourself and invest in the things you know you’ll love and will last you a really long time.

@HustleAndFlorence Your feet are weird??:thinking: I’m certain I need much more information here :rofl:.

I love shoes too, and I used to buy a lot of shoes, but in recent years I have calmed down in that area quite a bit, but I still love a good purse and “shop” for them online, and on QVC, and in catalogs. I’m obsessed with bags. And a handbag and a matching wallet can almost make me wax poetic about the wonders of life.

I really like the idea of owning other Italian bags other than Gucci, it’s just that I have been Gucci obsessed for a long time, so it’s kind of a habit at this point. That being said, Prada is now definitely on my radar, but I’m going to research and see what other Italian bags are out there. The Internet is such a fabulous tool. I love it.

Consignment shops are a great thing because the really good ones have standards to where you know you are getting a good product, even if things have been gently used. If I’m not mistaken, I think they will clean and disinfect certain things prior to your buying them.

And you’re right, too bad I didn’t know about the lady at my son’s school being in the market for that type of purse, because now -years later- giving it some thought, I think that I was really low-balled when it came to the money they gave to me when I sold that bag! It was practically brand new, and they didn’t even give me $200, a very fair “for sale” price for that handbag if you ask me, which would have been about half what I paid for it. Oh well, c’est la vie. You live, you learn :blush:.