Random Trivia About Italy

I saw a thread on here about the rights of cats in Italy. I thought it was hilarious but also incredibly interesting. I thought I’d start a thread where we could all put some random trivia we’ve picked up about Italy.

I read that Italians didn’t use tomato sauce on pasta until the 1600s. What did they put on it before then? Honey and sugar. That reminds me of that scene from Elf when he’s pouring maple syrup all over his spaghetti noodles.

I also learned that the Colosseum wasn’t called that back when it was first built. It was called the “Amphitheatrium Flavium.”

There are really a lot of interesting things about Italy’s culture. You will enjoy every story behind their culture. And yes, that is what they called in a colosseum back there. I think it is also written in the walls of the colosseum.

There really are a lot of interesting things! I’m excited to learn about more of them. I didn’t know it was written on the walls there. I’ll have to look into that!

I’m going to add one more to my list:

Apparently, there’s an old superstition that you will receive good fortune if you hear a cat sneeze.

As soon as you said they put honey and sugar on their noodles, my mind jumped to that movie, too. You never know, maybe history inspired the writers.

I read that sugar was actually a really big problem back in the day because people were addicted to it and had poor dental hygiene. I think the documentary I watched called it one of the “silent killers” of the 16th and 17th centuries.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. Hey, maybe it did inspire the writers! I didn’t know that sugar was such a problem back then. I guess it makes sense if they were eating it in large quantities. Sometimes it’s easy to forget how traumatic dental issues can be now that we have better dental care options. Now I’m curious about what their dental care habits were.

Please, note that there’s already a thread focused on Trivia about Italy

@fkasara I’m sorry, I didn’t see that topic show up in the “similar topics” window when I created this one. I didn’t mean to do a repeat! I’m excited that there’s more trivia on here though! Thanks for sharing the thread with me.