Quotes about Italy

My all-time favorite quote about Italy is this one by Giuseppe Verdi:

“You may have the universe if I may have Italy.”

“Tu puoi avere l’universo se io posso avere l’Italia.”

Do you know any others ?

Awesome topic!
I’ll chime in.

Although I’m not a big fan of Italy’s former prime minister, I do like this quote of his: “Italy will never be a normal country. Because Italy is Italy. If we were a normal country, we wouldn’t have Rome. We wouldn’t have Florence. We wouldn’t have the marvel that is Venice.

My favorite quote about Italy is: “Italy, and the spring and first love all together should suffice to make the gloomiest person happy.” by Bertrand Russell. I completely agree :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Italian idioms and proverbs

“I speak Spanish to God, French to men, Italian to women, and German to my horse.” Charles V

Mine is a very honest description of Italy by Italian journalist Beppe Severgnini:

“First of all, let’s get one thing straight. Your Italy and our Italia are not the same thing. Italy is a soft drug peddled in predictable packages, such as hills in the sunset, olive groves, lemon trees, white wine, and raven-haired girls. Italia, on the other hand, is a maze. It’s alluring, but complicated. It’s the kind of place that can have you fuming and then purring in the space of a hundred meters, or in the course of ten minutes. Italy is the only workshop in the world that can turn out both Botticellis and Berlusconis.”

(Beppe Severgnini - La Bella Figura: A Field Guide to the Italian Mind)

Here is my favorite. I hope you like it too.

Credits to the owner of the photo.

The only Italian, and it’s really Latin quote I can think of came from Julius Caesar. “I came, I saw, I conquered.” Romans were of course, great warriors at one time.

“Meglio aver poco che niente.”

Meaning: It’s better to have a little than nothing.
This fostered an attitude of thankfulness, which psychologists say is the basis for a happy life.

“I don’t need a therapist, just a good travel agent.” – Girlgi.com

Well of course, a good travel means a good place. And a good place is Italy for me.

There are so many worthy quotes about Italy… Anyway, right now, only a funny quote comes to my mind: “The first rule of Italy: if you do not know what to say, say ‘Pasta’.” We remembered this quote on our way to Rome to prepare for our vacation morally.

I love the simplicity, the ingredients, the culture, the history and the seasonality of Italian cuisine. In Italy people do not travel. They cook the way grandma did, using fresh ingredients and what is available in season.

• Anne Burrell

A tavola non si invecchia. (“At the table, one does not age.”)

Time spent around a table with family and friends is time well-spent.