Places in Italy you didn't like?

Italy is definitely a beautiful country! But is there any place in Italy you visited but didn’t particularly enjoy?

I have yet to meet someone saying “Italy is boring”. But it can happen, not everyone has the same taste when it comes to travel.

So, are there any Italian destinations you actually didn’t like?

I hate to say it but Venice really didn’t live up to expectations for me. I didn’t hate it, but had I not gone I don’t feel like I would’ve missed anything.

I have to agree with you, not much of Italy to dislike but Venice is underwhelming.

Wow! I did not expect that :astonished:

I’ve visited Venice 3 times so far, and it rained and it was so cold each time (what luck… right? :smiley: ) and still I was so impressed! But yeah, not everyone has the same taste, I really believe that.

As an Italian I can honestly say that the Venice tourists see is not the whole and the “real” Venice. I don’t know which part you visited, but don’t believe that Piazza San Marco is Venice…

Several people state that “Venice doesn’t live up to the expectations” and, as a person who lives not very far from it, it’s hard for me to understand what tourists actually expect to find. Imo tourists should learn to wander outside Piazza San Marco and to think through and understand what an incredible architectural achievement Venice is. You just don’t find anything like it in the world, a city build on the water using trunks planted on the mud as foundations and able to resist the force of the elements. Those who claim that it’s packed with tourists, probably only saw Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge and didn’t realize that the rest of the city is actually a ghost town. Off-the-beaten-path things are worthy to be seen, they can be even more interesting than the big touristic spots.

I hope I didn’t sound rude, I do understand that everyone has a personal taste. But I also believe that many tourists have a superficial knowledge of the city since they follow what tour operators want them to see and they are influenced by false rumors that are spreading through the Internet. For this exact reason, I have made a list of all the misbeliefs that are spreading around and I have tried to explain the pov of the local people here Quite a few people have joined the conversation and written about their personal experience, about what they liked and didn’t like about Venice. You’re invited to leave your pov as well and to read about some tips on how to appreciate a more authentic Venice.

Hey, that’s true! Any tourist who’s looking for what to do in Venice or what to see in Venice often gets misguided information. I enjoyed the touristy part of the city nonetheless, but did try to get off the beaten path for a bit… I really dislike crowded places, so good thing I got to see the “ghost town” part as well :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree more. I lived in Venice for about 2 months, and even I started getting annoyed with people who would come and see Piazza San Marco and say “Venice isn’t really that great”.

I’m glad you agree. And besides, why people keep saying that Piazza San Marco is overrated or “not that great”? I can get the frustration caused by the huge amount of crowds, the fake souvenirs and the astronomical prices in the shops/restaurants, but the Piazza has a great architectural value and it’s unique in its genre.

Every place in Italy is unique in its genre :slight_smile: I’ve never seen such architectural masterpieces anywhere else in this world.

Take the tower of Pisa, for instance. It’s a unique piece of history! I’ve never gone up, but was “wowed” by it nonetheless!

However, since we’re on the topic, I have to say the rest of the city didn’t impress me much. I mean, it’s a beautiful city, but maybe, after seeing the leaning tower in Pisa, you’re not easily impressed by the rest of what the city has to offer :smiley:

What a great link, I’ll be sure to explore more of Venice!

I’m glad :pray: :blush: It’s a pity missing the off-the-beaten-path spots of Venice, that’s where the soul of the city is still alive!

Hey, James! Exploring more of Venice is a great idea.
I have to warn you though… Venice is the city where I’ve had the worst gelato ever! :joy::rofl::sweat_smile:
I’m not kidding, it’s true!
I just thought I’d mention it because it’s so funny! One of the most beautiful cities in the world… yet the worst ice cream ever! But don’t mind me. Go! Explore! :speedboat:

Haha this is awesome, I never thought there would be bad gelato anywhere in Italy!

I didn’t expect it either… I usually go bananas for gelato! (pun intended… haha!) But, yeah, I guess you… live in Italy and learn! :rofl:
Venice has great coffee though. I can’t remember where my friends and I stopped for a cup, it was somewhere close to piazza San Marco, but not too close for coffee to be too expensive! (that’s the perfect amount of closeness, for a tourist :joy: )