Off the beaten path

I’m planning a family vacation in Italy, which includes time in Rome, Naples, and Pisa so far. We will visit the traditional tourist spots, of course, but it would be fun to venture off the beaten path. Do you know of any hidden gems we should visit?

I would like to know some areas as well. I was doing a bit of reading but I want to hear from people who have actually been to Italy. Someone I work with is going in September so I gave him a list of things to let me know about. I don’t think you can fully know where to go without having been there though, if that makes sense.

Honestly? Just take a drive through the country side. I can’t mention just ONE location. but I can say that the country side is beautiful, and breathtaking. Just driving along the coast, or between cities was one of the most relaxing experiences I have, and to be honest, I rather that than crowded cities. Have an adventure.

I would say you should definitely check out the Amalfi coast in the south of Italy. That area is incredible. The food is very good and the people are awesome.

Siena is a perfect small town surrounded by olive groves and vineyards in Tuscany. Spend a few nights in an agriturismo and be prepared to be amazed by its farm-to-table foods!

Wow, thank you to everyone who chimed in with recommendations. A couple of them strongly appeal to me, so I’ll check to see if I can add them to my itinerary.

As I mentioned before, dont forget Sicily. The entire island is just incredible. You can find culture, food and vistas there that you wont find anywhere else in Italy.