New York City vs Italy

NYC has a lot of Italian-Americans. However, though, how much does NYC actually compare to Italy? I don’t think it does much, mainly because the city has a mix of people originating from other places, like Ireland.

My boyfriend has an Italian Mother and an Irish Father and I will admit, aside from the huge amount of pizza places in New York and also the fact that Pasta seems to be a main dish in New York as well I can not see any real big comparisons to Italy at all. For starters even though there are a lot of pizza places around New York I do understand that they are nothing like Italian pizza and they often contain a lot more fat and grease.

In the UK we tend to have allot of Italian people. Most Italian people that are in New York are there as they have an good job or maybe they are born and always lived there. It’s not cheap to live in New York comparing to Italy.

Yet Most everyday New Yorkers love to go into an Pizza shop and the pizza was made by an Italian person

I’d say NYC is more a modern destination whereas Italy offers a lot of history and uniqueness to it. NYC is too much of the same you can get elsewhere you know?

New York which is a city is a lot different from Italy which is a country. In terms of Italian people, Italian New Yorkers have a tenuous connection to Italy from several generations ago. They are simply New Yorkers who happen to have Italian roots.

I would think that the sheer size of NYC would exclude it from being anything like Italy. Discounting, of course, the large Italian population in NYC, I really don’t think they are much alike at all. I wonder what the size of the largest Italian city is in comparison?

NY has the modern, city cut, Italian people. They are very different from true Italians from what I can tell. I have not been to Italy so I am only basing this on what I know but to me, there are clear differences.

It is hard to compare a city/state to a country. I would say they are no where close to being similar. Italy is quite an old country where New York City is very modern.

Exactly! You have to consider the people on Jersey Shore as well. I think those are the most hated Italians by Italy there is. They are just like “rednecks” I guess for proper Italians.

Besides that there are many Italians living in both, not much I don’t think …

Again, as I said in another thread, the Italians are probably masking some deeper grudge with their prejudice against Jersey Shore. I mean, for one thing, people back home would be jealous of Italians that have made their way in America, even if they are in the lower class. Also, Europeans, in general, are uneasy with the US as they are jealous of US power and culture and resent the US Army and politicians (and what they see as an overpowering Hollywood/fast food culture).

I’ve never been to New York before, but have heard and read a lot about it. I think New York and Italy are definitely different. The main difference I see would be the lifestyle. Everyone in New York seems busy, busy, busy. While in Italy, people definitely seem less stressed out. I’ve noticed Italians have a very ‘calmish’ attitude about everything. Yes, you do see them get mad and throw their hands in the air while yelling at each other at times :smiley: But overall, they’re actually quite relaxed. It may be the wine most of them have with their lunch :sweat_smile:

NYC is a lot more hustle and bustle compared to Italy which is a lot more calmer and you feel like enjoying more! in NYC everything feels rushed, mostly because it is crowded as well.

I don’t know how you could compare NYC to Italy or even any of its cities. There are so many shopping places, food places, etc. in NYC per square mile, I would think that would negate any comparison.

I’m running along the same lines as Ambrosia on this. How can one compare a busy, traffic hindered, city with an excess of many things including crime, people in general, cars, buildings etc., to the picturesque views in Italy?

That’s what I was thinking as well. I’ve been to New York a few times, and while it’s great I feel like it would be hard to compare it with Italy just because they are a city and a state.

Big towns are bizarre. As you say, they are in a rush. In fact, I had never been in one until I graduated college. Anyway, I like to visit, and even visit often, but I prefer to live in the countryside.

I dont really think NYC does really compare to Italy much. Its one of the biggest cities in the world and also a melting pot of different cultures. You will definitely not get the same experience as just walking through an Italian countryside.

As a New Yorker, you see the Italian-American culture embedded in many neighborhoods, restaurants, and of course Little Italy. Traveling to Italy and experiencing the real Italian culture was totally different from what I was exposed to. It’s hard to compare NYC to Italy as a country but it’s apple to oranges. NYC is a mix of many cultures, although you get to get a taste of each culture, nothing compares to actually going to that country and experiencing it first hand.

When looking at NYC Vs Italy it is known that New York City is home to the third largest Italian population. I noticed that in NYC there is a problem with how Italian food is done.
I learnt that combining onions and Garlic in a single meal is not right to Italians. I don’t know how true is that.

Waiters at bars in cities across Italy have also been known to refuse to serve tourists asking for the mistimed beverages. I don’t think that happens in NYC too.