Making Cannolo for the First Time

I tried making cannolo (cannoli - is this the plural?) at the weekend to try something different for Easter. I failed. They tasted OK but the shape was a disgrace.

If you’ve never seen or eaten them a cannolo is made of crispy fried dough, formed into a tube and stuffed with ricotta into which is mixed lemon juice and grated chocolate. (There may be variations in the filling).

I didn’t have “cannoli tubes” which are vital to getting the shape right. We plan to buy a set, they aren’t expensive.

It’s also possible to buy pre-baked cannoli shells and simply add the filling. Which is a plus because rolling and kneading the dough for cannoli is hard work.

Have you ever made cannoli? Did you have more success than me?

No, I’ve never made it, but I have eaten it and it’s delicious. I think it’s a Sicilian desert. And you are right “cannoli” is the plural of “cannolo”.

Kudos to you for trying to make cannoli! I’ve never tried to make it myself because I’m sure it would end up being a complete and utter disaster. I’m no whiz in the kitchen. It would be a great skill to learn though because we don’t have any Italian restaurants with good cannoli nearby.

Well, as I said, my effort was a disaster. But it was fun and it tasted fine, it just looked like … well, I won’t say what it looked like. I’m definitely going to get some cannoli tubes. I’ll let you know if they work for me!