Leaning Tower of Pisa

Most people will be familiar with the leaning tower of Pisa. Here is a little history in case you plan on visiting.

The tower started to tilt during its construction in the 12th century. The tilting happened because the ground was too soft on one side, and it could not hold the weight of the tower.
The tower was not finished until the 14th century and during the building of it, the leaning increased. It continued to gradually increase until the 20th century as well as early in the 21st century. During repair works at that time, the tower was stabilized and the tilting was in part corrected.

Did you know… the tower is 183.27 feet high if measured on the low side and it is no less than 185.93 feet high is measured from the high side. That’s quite a difference!

The tower used to lean at an angle of 5.5 degrees before the restoration works took place in the 20th and 21st century. It now leans just 3.99 degrees.

The tower has 296 steps and is estimated to weigh 14,500 tons. It is a major attraction to tourists and no doubt tons of photos have been taken of tourists with the tower in the background. It’s worth a visit.

Nice! Who’s the architect of this tower?

I always thought that Bonanno Pisano was the architect, but there’s a lot of debate about it. Some 21st century scholars believe the original architect was really Diotisalvi and Pisano only continued the project after Diotisalvi’s death. I’ll be going to Italy in a few months and can’t wait to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa!

True, it is not known for certain who the original architect was and we’ll probably never know for sure, given that so many centuries have passed.

Antonio, I hope you’ll post a report after you’ve visited the leaning tower of Pisa. You’re going at the right time. Years ago, visitors were not allowed to go inside the tower, but nowadays, it’s open and you can climb the stairs to the top. Good exercise too!
I’ve never been in it myself, but it’s said to be beautiful inside. The stairs seem pretty interesting, they look literally worn by footsteps. I got curious and went to my friend google… it appears that over one million people visit the tower each year. Can you imagine?

The nice thing about visiting there is that you don’t have to go all the way there just to visit the tower. Nearly is also the Baptistery of San Giovanni.

The city of Pisa is a medieval city that can easily be reached from Rome by train, another plus. You can easily spend a whole day there and look at all the historic buildings without getting bored. I just don’t know how touristic the area is but I’m sure it’s safe to say that you won’t be alone there.

Fascinating facts! This is one of the places that I really want to see when I get to go. The fact that they don’t finish correcting the lean which I’m sure would be a major undertaking, would simply ruin all the attention it gets from tourists!. I didn’t know the steps were estimated to be that heavy. Wow! How did the men of the time complete such an undertaking? We may never know.

I thought it was Bonanno Pisano as well. I have heard of so many mixed things about the history and the art in Italy that it will be a relief to actually go there and see for myself what the people are like and learn some facts. I never trusted our history in America.

I always wanted to go and check out the Leaning Tower for myself. Thanks for all this great info about the architect and it`s history.

I am surprised no one mentioned Diotisalvi. He’s a crucial part of the puzzles. Recent research indicates he designed some of it and was probably the original architect of the tower.

Thanks for all the great information. It is one of the places on my list to visit. I do have a silly question though. Do the floors inside the tower lean at the same angle as the outside or have they been corrected to be level? Just curious.

There’s not a lot inside the Leaning Tower of Pisa. There are only stairs that lead to the top in the interior of the tower. It offers gorgeous panoramic views of Pisa. There is a tilt inside the tower just as there is inside but you probably notice it.

Very nice. This is one landmark that I have never visited before. Must be a really cool experience to get up there and see Pisa from up high.