Italians in other countries

As with any country, people travel around, settle elsewhere, etc… The Italians have left their mark in the area where I live (Upstate New York).
The city nearest to me is called Rome, and it is next to Verona. And yes, there are some good Italian restaurants in Rome. You also encounter many people here with Italian surnames such as Romano, and Russo, etc… It’s not small, either. Over 33,000 according to the census in 2010.

There is also a city called Rome in Georgia, and one in Indiana. And more, there’s a Rome in Ohio, and a Rome in Delaware, two Rome cities in Wisconsin, one in Illinois, one in Maine, three in Pennsylvania, one in Michigan, Minnesota, and one in Maryland. oh boy! It would be a nice challenge to visit them all.

Did you know… between 1861 and 1985, about 26 people left Italy, and just one out of every four came back. Between 1880 and 1920, four million Italians entered the United States.
Other than the United States, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, and Canada were also popular places for Italians to go and settle.

Italians are a bit everywhere, and many people have had a chance to get to know their culture, even if they never had a chance to visit Italy.

My fiance is full blooded Italian and we are trying to get her back to her roots to meet the family she never met. Her mother came here when she was pregnant. Her father left the US to go back to Italy and that was that. She was only 2 when that happened. Needless to say they became citizens and moved on with life. Her mother married and American man when she was 6 and he has been her father ever since.

Reading this warms my heart (knowing families have stuck it all out) and I look forward to her meeting her family and getting to be a part of that.

It will be a very interesting experience for sure. I guess I’m in a bit of a similar situation, yet different. I was born and raised in Belgium, came to the US more than 2 decades ago, and never went back to Europe until recently. I had not been there in 23 years, and was pretty nervous. I figured everyone would think I’ve gotten so much older, and personally, I didn’t look forward to seeing the older versions of my friends and family. You know what? Everyone had become a little older, but nobody had become 23 years older. It’s hard to explain.

It’s different in your fiance’s case since she has never seen her home country. I’ll be curious to find out if she feels affinity with the country and feels her ties with it. Will she meet her real father for the first time? Or will they not meet at all? Have they been in touch with one another? Did her mom teach her how to speak Italian, or does she only speak English? If she speaks Italian, it might make things easier for both of you, although nowadays many, many people speak English.

Either way, best of luck!

I don’t know how italy does economically. But just for the country, I’d do anything to pack up and go live in Italy. Although Learning Italian seems like it could be a pain haha!

THere aren’t a lot of Italians in the country I live (Asia), which is pretty standard. Not a lot of Europeans would move to Asia haha.

I actually live in Rome, Indiana lol. It’s named because of the italian population during the pioneer days, and also because of the church like monastary that was built in the area that’s currently used by Fransciscan monks of the Catholic Church. Its weird because its an area thats rich in italian culture in an area full of amish, and german descendents. So it’s an itneresting little spot out in the farmlands of the midwest.

There are a lot of Italians living in my country as well. They feel very at home, because our official language, Romanian, is very similar to Italian and easy to learn for them.

It’s probably easy for them to learn Romanian because they are both Romance languages. Even though Romania is so far flung from Italy, their languages are similar. In New York, Italian culture has such a major influence that I doubt there’s anyone who doesn’t know that!

My boyfriend who currently lived in New York has an Italian Mother and it would seem that Italian’s are quite common in that area of America. Where I live in England, you don’t tend to hear much at all from Italian people and it may be once every so often you may see or hear someone who is Italian.

It does make you wonder what the fascination is for Italian people in New York, this is something I can honestly say I have never worked out.

I can’t believe that so many Italians moved to the US between 1861 and 1985. 4 million is a lot of people. I do know that there are many people here with Italian ancestry and Italian surnames. Makes you wonder if you have a bit yourself! Especially if you love everything Italian like I do. Viva Italiano!

I think most Italians living abroad can be found in the U.S. As previously mentioned, there was a huge surge of immigrants to America in the past. There are also a lot if Italians living in the U.K. as well, as they were looking for better living conditions during the 50`s, especially Italians from the south.