Italian Cheeses

There are many Italian cheeses that I would like to try when touring the country. I am familiar with Asiago and Provolone. Could anyone tell me about Gorgonzola and Pecorino Toscano? Are they similar to something I could relate to maybe?

I’m not a huge fan of cheese, but my husband is. He recently purchased Gorgonzola and, in his typical fashion, he told me a lot about it. In my typical fashion, I forgot a lot of it. But I remember that it’s a bleu cheese, so that might be what you can compare it to. Just like bleu cheese, it’s soft and crumbly.

Thank you eternita. I looked it up and it is indeed a blue cheese consistency. I did learn that there is a town in Italy named Gorgonzola that takes it’s name after the cheese. Interesting.

Pecorino Toscano is a mild cheese and has been compared to Parmesan in that it can be grated and used in a variety of ways. It is made from ewe’s milk that has been pasteurized. It can be eaten in it’s soft state after only 20 days of maturation or after 4 months treated like a parmesan.

Thank you Patricia! That’s good to know. I would like to try it in its soft state. Paired with the proper wine and fruit I bet it would be wonderful.