How many kg of pasta does every Italian eat in a year?

How many kg of pasta does every Italian eat in a year?

Each Italian consumes in average 25kg of pasta during one year. However, pasta consumption is considerably higher in the centre and south of the country than in the north, where risotto and polenta are more common

I am not surprised about that as Italy is really famous for pasta.

While that is a lot of pasta, you have to consider how much the US eats as well. It seems that while we eat less here, we still eat more than we should for out activity levels. It doesn’t help either that authentic pasta is a lot healthier over there than it is here.

This is not a surprise to me at all. My boyfriend has an Italian Mother and they live in the USA and they must eat pasta around 2 times a week. He gets so fed up of it that he tends to skip that meal and eat something else because they eat it so much. I don’t mind pasta myself however I couldn’t eat it to the extent the Italians do, I would soon get tired of eating it.

They must get fat then? I do like to eat pasta but no idea if they eat allot each year. That’s without me googling.

They tend to eat everyday as most of us do in the English world

Yes that is true and who knows? There’s got to be some Americans and Canadians that eat a lot more than Italians eat. It all depends on the person’s diet, budget and what they like and how much they eat.

Pasta in Italy is a completely different story than pasta in any other country.

How exactly is it different, Dan? Much like Shortie861’s story, my friend who once traveled to Italy and the countries around literally couldn’t eat pasta or bread for a while because he “had enough of those”. I personally am a fan of noodle-like food, so I’m curious to test it out myself whether I can say the same thing about pasta or not.

I’m referring to the ingredients, their quality, freshness, 100% natural, the “way of doing things” that all together result in a different ‘product’. Imagine a venerable Italian grandmother wielding a rolling pin making pasta from scratch rather than getting them from a box, overcooking them and then throwing some sauce from a can over it and voila, that is pasta.

They go by “less is more” principle in how they do their pastas, sauces, pizzas .etc rather than the “more is always better”.

I can understand in a sense. That’s how I used to describe sushi until I saw how the originals were prepared and how they actually tasted in Japan. Both styles are delicious but in totally different ways. I’ve heard the real original pasta and pizza are actually different from popular brands around the world, so I’m looking forward to proving it myself.

In the US, the foods that we eat tend to be processed and preserved to live on a shelf somewhere for a long time. Were as in Italy, they make their own with fresh ingredients (mostly grown themselves). Italians tend to stay much leaner than their US counterparts. They eat fresher (with no preservatives) and even though they may eat more, it doesn’t seem to affect them as much as we are affected here in the US.

Surprisingly… no!

Italians are some of the worlds healthiest people. And among those who live the longest!
I doubt longevity has anything to do with pasta, but Italians are known for eating very, very healthy.

Since the topic is pasta, I’d emphasize that Italian pasta dishes are rich in vegetables or meat or seafood. They either cook it and serve it with veggies, with ragu, with mussels… and so on. They don’t exactly bury 1 pound of pasta in 10 pounds of cheese and call it a meal! :smiley: (although that Parmesan… Mmm! Delicious!).
Also, lasagna is literally pasta, but lasagna is mostly meat.

They eat pasta as the first course. Next comes meat and vegetables, or some other kind of dish that’s nutritious.