Hiring a personal tour guide

I’ve read in a few places on this forum that English isn’t prominent once you get to the smaller Italian towns. If we want to explore some smaller towns, would it be a good idea to hire a personal tour guide who can speak both languages? Would that be worth the money? We’ve also been considering getting a driver because we’re not sure how comfortable we’d be driving in Italy. I know that traffic can be a little wild in the cities, but is it nerve-racking in less populated areas as well?

I think it comes down to personal taste. Most tour guides have an agenda and may not be very flexible. For language purposes there are superb translation apps if you have a smartphone.

As for hiring a driver, if you are not confident driving in a foreign country it might be the way for you. Maybe you could find a company with drivers who are also tour guides.

There are tour-operators specialized in incoming services to Italy that offer the opportunity to book a personal “accompagnatore”, someone who guides you around your chosen itinerary. Obviously you have to consider this kind of service will cost you more.

The traffic in the smaller towns is not as crazy as in the big cities. The streets are generally narrow, though, because many towns have Medieval origins.

Booking a personal “accompagnatore” sounds right up my alley. It makes sense that it would be the more expensive option. That’s okay with me when it also sounds like the most ideal option. I’ll have to check them out and see if they’re within my budget.

Narrow roads can be a bit scary to me. I’m used to having a lot of space on the road. Of course, Italian cars are a lot smaller than ours. I’ll have to give it some more thought.

Thanks for the help you two!