Has anyone been to any of these "underrated" spots?

I just came across this article about underrated towns to visit in Italy. The list includes:

Alberobello, Puglia
Bergamo, Lombardy
Treviso, Veneto
Bologna, Emilia-Romagna
Bolzano, Alto Adige
Castelluccio, Umbria
Cefalù, Sicily
Sperlonga, Lazio
Ascoli Piceno, Le Marche
Tropea, Calabria
Monteriggioni, Tuscany

The list also included Verona, but I don’t really need extra information on that one. Has anyone been to any of these places? Do you think they’re really underrated? What kind of things are there to do?

I’ve been to Treviso when I was visiting Venice. I went for the history - both ancient and modern. It was a strategic place in both World Wars of the last century. It is also where Prosecco (the Italian champagne) is produced so I had to, of course, visit a vineyard or two whilst I was there.

That’s a great article, which I’ve bookmarked. I’m planning a trip to Umbria where I will stay in Pérouse. I’ll definitely try to visit Castelluccio, it sounds idyllic.

World War I and II history, ancient history, and the home of Prosecco? That sounds like a place I have to put on my list. Which vineyards did you visit?

I’ve been to Cefalù on Sicily. I don’t know why it’s on an “underrated towns” list because it’s overrun with tourists who obviously think highly of the place. It has a Cathedral which dates back to Norman times and loads of churches. What I loved best was the long sandy beach and the hydrofoil trip to the small volcanic islands lying just off the coast.

@Chantal I agree with @Griffin, Treviso sounds like my kind of place! How can the home of Prosecco be an underrated spot? I would’ve thought that everyone would be all over that. The history sounds fabulous as well, of course! It’s amazing how everywhere in Italy seems to have a fascinating history behind them I’m glad you liked the article too!

@Patrick That can be a problem with these lists sometimes - the places aren’t always “underrated,” they just might not be one of the first places that come to mind (like Rome, Florence, etc.). A hydrofoil trip sounds amazing!

No, I’ve never been to any of the places on the list. But having read the article it has given me ideas for the next time I’m in Italy. I’ve tended to visit the obvious, larger cities with trips outside the city boundaries. But I’d love to go to some more remote places. Maybe I will when my Italian language skills have improved.

No I haven’t but this list is very useful for me. I’m planning my route for my motorcycle trip and will definitely be passing through the regions of Umbria and La Marche. So, I’ve added Castelluccio and Ascoli Piceno as potential places to take a break.

Alberobello, Puglia - adorable but VERY popular - not sure why it’s on this list!
You must see the Trulli villages at least once! It’s a good day trip.

Bergamo, Lombardy - gorgeous town, amazing art. A good stop on the way home. It’s just as easy to get to the Milan airport from Bergamo as it is from Milan. I took the train there.

Treviso, Veneto - small & very charming - a great day trip. There are many lovely towns in the Veneto worth exploring.

Bologna, Emilia-Romagna - art, architecture and wonderful food! I stayed there for a week and took day trips via train to several other cities in the region.

Cefalù, Sicily - wonderful & charming city! A great day trip too.