Giro d'Italia

I’m a huge fan of Giro d’Italia, not so much for the actual competition although that is nice too, but for the scenery and stories told along the race.

There are 21 race days in total in which they cross Italy. It happens in late May - early June each year.

The 2017 edition was the 100th one, it was quite an anniversary. Dutch rider Tom Dumoulin won it, being just 31 seconds faster than the 2nd place. His time was 90h 34’ 54", that is 90 hours 34 minutes and 54 seconds of actual peddling over a total distance of 3.615,4 KM (171,7 KM - each day average)

They started in Sardegna, then went to Sicily, Calabria, Basilicata, Puglia, Molise, Umbria, Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna and then continued up north to the Italian Alps.

I’ve never heard of this before. Is this their own version of the tour De France? Or is it something totally different? 21 days, 3 weeks total sounds like a long time for these racers.

It’s their own version of the Tour de France, which has the same days length (21). The only other 21 days tour is La Vuelta (Tour of Spain).

These 3 big cycling tours are considered the Grand Tours in cycling, most important events of the year, similar how in tennis there are 4 Grand Slams (Australian Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open).

First time I’m hearing of it. Seems pretty damn cool, and looks like I had just missed it when I visited last. What a waste! Hopefully will catch it the next time around. Seems pretty intensive.

Wow a 21 day race!? That is insane! No wonder people in Italy can eat all that bread and pasta and still be in such good shape! They are far more active than I was even as a teen. haha I will have to check this out sometime. If my first visit goes will I will likely go back!

This is the first time I am hearing of Giro d’Italia but when you mention it’s their own version of Tour De France it makes more sense to me. This does sound very interesting and I do wonder why things like this are not overly announced on say the news in the UK. Tour De France gets a lot of air time on the news but I have honestly never seen anything about Giro d’Italia on the news where I live.

@Shortie861 It is a shame that the Tour De France does take a lot of the limelight when it comes to cycling. Most people haven’t heard of the Giro d’Italia or La Vuelta, even though they are very similar and just as entertaining. I’ve never heard of either of them mentioned in the news in the UK either. I suppose it’s another one of Italy’s treasures that not many people know about.