Foreign artists singing in Italian

Some of the musicians I usually listen to rarely use Italian in their songs. Perhaps that means the language is relatively challenging where it comes to music. Fortunately, once in a while I find something that really hits me in the heart. I have to thank my friend for showing me this song. The singer is Japanese, but the performance is just wonderful.

If you know more amazing songs in Italian by non-Italian artists, share it here!

While it is often said that Italian is the language of music, that has to do with the influence it had on classical and opera music since it’s beginnings. Thus, the majority of foreign artists that sing in Italian are Opera singers (do a Youtube search for “'O Sole Mio” for example). Not so much pop/rock/etc singers since the market is relatively small when compared with English.

While there are many top singers that have dabbled and sung a song or two in Italian, not many did more than that. But there are still quite a few that even released entire albums in Italian such as: Lara Fabian, Enrique Iglesias etc.

Ermal Meta, born in Albania, moved to Bari, Southern Italy, at the age of 13, won the Sanremo Music Festival 2018 in a duet with Fabrizio Moro with the song “Non mi avete fatto niente”, and will represent Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018. But you could hardly say he is a foreigner having grown up in Italy.

Ermal Meta, Fabrizio Moro - Non mi avete fatto niente (Sanremo 2018)

Some recent collaborations of Andrea Bocelli with Ariana Grande and Ed Sheeran.

Andrea Bocelli, Ariana Grande - E Più Ti Penso

Ed Sheeran - Perfect Symphony (with Andrea Bocelli)

A foreign language brings a unique touch to the music. It feels magical to be touched by words I don’t understand. Italian, in specific, leaves the impression of old and classic. The song feels more elegant that way.

E Più Ti Penso is wonderful! Andrea Bocelli’s voice is well complemented by Ariana. It’s a beautiful but sad song (proven after I check the English translation). I’m also happy to see how well the singers pronounce the words. For natives, strange accents can ruin a musical experience.

Andrea Bocelli sure is a classic. His duet with Celine Dion in The Prayer is so amazing. It was the first song I heard in Italian. There is also Con te partirò and Canto della terra which he performed with Sarah Brightman. I listened to some other after that, but nothing really stayed compared to those. So thanks for putting these videos. Time to practice with songs again!