Everyday Italian attire

When I think of Italian fashion, I always think of high-fashion brands. So I’ve built up an image of Italians in my head as people who like a sophisticated, clean look that’s elegant and, well, expensive. I know it’s not right to stereotype, but how far off the mark am I? Do most Italians dress well? What would be considered “casual”?

What I’ve noticed is that people my age (early 20s) tend to dress the same everywhere. That is jeans, t-shirts, and trainers. What my dad calls our “uniform”. And that goes for Italy. Older people (ie: over 30/40) in Italy wear jeans less. Their casual-smart dress is either chino-type trousers or a skirt and blouse. Smarter dress is definitely suits for men and what I think of as short evening dresses for women. They accessorise themselves to death as well.

Sometime ago I wrote a post and also published an infographic titled: “How to dress like an Italian: 6 essential style rules locals don’t share”. If you’re interested, here you are the link https://theroverinleatherjacket.wordpress.com/2017/05/19/how-to-dress-like-an-italian-style-rules-locals/ and the infographic:

@Fred Maybe that’s true where you are. In my neck of the woods, the people in their early 20s here are either dressed to the nines or in athletic wear. There really doesn’t seem to be much in between. I’m glad to hear that’s not the case everywhere. I’m at that awkward stage (in my late 20s) where I don’t quite know how to dress appropriately. Thanks for the help!

@fkasara You’re a godsend. That’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. The infographic on its own is helpful! It looks like I wasn’t too far off the mark. That clean, tailored look concerned more with sophistication rather than being “loud”. I’m going to go read your post right now! Thank you.

I relate to what @Fred said. We’re the same age so maybe that’s why. Jeans, T-shirts, and trainers are what I and my friends wear. In hot weather, my shorts are cut-off jeans. Smart clothes are for church, funerals and job interviews, none of which I do very often.

When I think of young Italian women of my age I think of fitted summer dresses, big floppy sunhats, sunglasses and strappy sandals. Tiny waists are a must. I think I watch too many films set in the 1950s.

@Pearl That’s what I think of too and I’m sure the media is to blame for it.

Thanks for sharing that infographic, @fkasara. I would love to get a more sophisticated look! It’s inspiring me to do what I’ve always promised myself: Go find a great tailor in my area and get my clothes fitted properly.

Italian dressing, especially home made is my preference. I just like it simple and smart.

Italian style is synonymous with good taste and elegance all over the world.
Some people believe that the Italian style means wearing Armani and Gucci, high heels and designer dresses daily. However, this is completely wrong. As the Italians told me, dressing up in the Italian style means looking good and feeling comfortable all day long.

The creation of an Italian style is not about how to match the latest fashion trends or where to buy luxury brand things, but how to be yourself, feel confident and comfortable at any event, be able to emphasize all your dignity with clothing.

I think a low-heeled, stylish, leather walking shoes are a better option for both men and women and can make the transition from Roman ruins to a restaurant. A hat and sunglasses are vital even in the city. Most Italians favor a few simple pieces of jewelry, and Italian women generally wear simple makeup, opting for soft shades of lipstick and nail polish.

When you say everyday so it means an attire that you are comfortable of weaing or casual. So for me t-shirt and a nice shorts will do. A cotton thin shirt and a strecthchable shorts. :smiley:

Well, I’m not into fashion, being comfortable is my priority, specially on the weather in our country, actually as long as I can, I want to stay naked or not wearing on top.