Easter celebration in Italy

The Vatican is actually the center of the Catholics, but Italy is also influenced in a way or another if we look at the number of churches and dominant religion of the citizen. As the Easter Day is coming soon, how does it affect Italy? How is it different if we compare it to Christmas celebration as an example?

I’m marrying into a large Italian family. My fiancee says that holiday celebrations aren’t that different from what goes on in other countries. Schools and many businesses close up shop. Most restaurants will offer meatless meals on Fridays and fish fries are common during the Lenten season.

I am actually not quite sure how to answer this. Are you asking how Easter is done compared to other countries, or how Easter compares to Christmas? Because as far as I can tell, Christmas is celebrated differently in countries as well…

It’s just that sometimes people travel to see how a certain place celebrates Christmas, so I wonder if Easter in Italy also has something unique to attract visitors. I rarely hear people go to see specific Easter-related events. From what @Drew said, looks like there is only a change in food for that period.

I believe I misunderstood your question. The Easter celebration in Italy is similar to religious holidays in other democratic countries. It’s true that Catholicism is the dominant religion; however, you’ll find Muslims, atheists, agnostics, and many others represented as well. There isn’t an expectation to cater to the Catholic faith in Italy.

However, the Vatican City is its own country and the Pope will hold special mass services, readings, and prayers throughout the week. In the Vatican City it’s respectful to dress modestly too, and you’re unlikely to see anyone who doesn’t wear the proper attire. I don’t mean long dresses, hiding ankles, or the face. Just a long sleeved shirt with a higher neckline will work for a top. Shorts are okay too by most standards so long as they cover the knees. Of course, some people don’t want to follow the standard. Both celebrities and average citizens have shared vulgar images on Instagram of themselves flashing the camera while in the Vatican City. It happens.

This Pope is known as the People’s Pope because he regularly stops everything in order to bless, kiss, help, and just talk to ordinary citizens. Pope Francis gets right with the crowd, unprotected. He goes into prisons and directly embraces those who could mortally wound him before someone could intervene. People travel from all over the world to celebrate the Holy Week.

@Volcano, there are a couple different local traditions. For instance, in Florence, the Scoppio del carro is a cart filled with fireworks that’s set on fire. If it’s a successful fireworks show, then it’s supposed to be a sign of a good year. I guess sort of like Groundhog Day, but obviously a lot cooler. In comparison to our traditions, they seem to have chocolate eggs but no Easter Bunny. I got the information from here and there’s a lot of other nifty information!

I guess one can say that Easter is more sad and quiet compared to Christmas. After all, it’s a reminder of the death of an important figure. Prior to the big day, we will see various processions and parades. The Monday after Easter is celebrated more grandly with dances, games, and more food in general.

The Easter eggs are cute. Too bad the bunnies are not around!

I read that Scoppio del carro is done as an appreciation to the bravery of the first man who scaled the walls of Jerusalem. The flints his commander gave him are now used to light the fireworks. A successful event is believed to grant a good harvest. Not exactly related to the history of Easter Day, but it’s always light up on the morning of Easter Sunday with the Easter fire. It’s rather appropriate to celebrate the day. I wish I can watch it someday!