Do You Have Italian Heritage?

I know that there are a lot of us here that are really excited about Italy and what they have to offer in their amazing country. But, it makes me curious – how many of us on this forum have Italian heritage? I actually do have a little, and I’m very interested in/in love with everything that the culture has to offer. Just curious!

I have some on my father’s side. He has a lot of Welsh on his father’s side and a lot of Italian on his mother’s. However, their families have a lot of other countries at play as well. My dad’s basically a European mutt.

As far as I know I don’t have Italian heritage in my family line. My ancestors are supposed to have come from Ireland and England. Have any of you all tried those DNA testing kits to find out?

My father was born in Gravina di Puglia near Bari. My mother’s family is from the East Coast of Sicily, Trapani. I’ve visited both - with my parents when they were still alive.

@Drew, I got one of the Ancestry kits for Christmas. I sent it in last month and I’m waiting for my results. I want to see just how “mutt” my family really is. Are you thinking of trying one?

I don’t think I have any Italian heritage. I think Czech is as close to Western European as my heritage goes on either side. @Drew, I’ve always wanted to try those! I’ll have to get around to it. I would love to find out I’m Italian. @FrancescaSINY, that is so cool! What was your favorite part about each palce?

Hi, I’ve just joined. Been trying to track down where my Great Great Great Grandpa came from. We have a letter saying he came from Lombardy and that he was born in 1802.The family name is Tennuci, Tennuchi, Tennuchia or Tennuche (among others) depending on which UK, US/Canadian and Australian record it’s found on. What intrigues me most are the links with the rise and fall of Napoleon and the Habsbergs, which are as entrenched in the history of Northern Italy as they are with the UK’s history…

Sicily is so unique because of it’s position in the trade route. So many cultures (North African, Greek, etc.) traveled through and left their imprint on the island - food, art, architecture, etc. And then there are the beaches, the food & wine!

Puglia has an interesting landscape and gorgeous coastline as well as interesting architecture like the trulli and the many cave dwellings carved into the tufa stone. The cuisine, wine, and olive oil are also wonderful.