Are beef dishes uncommon?

Is eating beef uncommon in Italy? I am having a hard time recalling Italian dishes that include beef. Most of the ones I can recall are mainly pasta and seafood dishes with some chicken here and there. My husband is a big red meat kind of guy. Is that something that might be tricky to find at local restaurants?

Most of the standard spaghetti and lasagna dishes are made with a thick, meaty sauce made with beef. Spaghetti and meatballs together aren’t really a thing though. Instead, they are treated as two separate dishes. At least that’s how it was the last time I visited.

You aren’t saying they eat dry spaghetti, are you?

I should have worded my response better; thanks for pointing that out.

MissT, you can get amazing steaks too, particularly if you visit Tuscany. Beef is pretty common.

@WTB Some restaurants do offer a menu with spaghetti and meatballs with thick sweet sauce similar to the combination in Bolognese. Taste wise it’s fine, though. I wonder why they are not really a thing there.

@MissT Have you ever tried Lasagne? It’s technically a stacked pasta dish with beef, cheese, and sauce. Other than that, I think it’s easiest to find beef as a part of pizza toppings.

@Volcano I bet the large areas have adapted to suit the tastes of their tourist-centric clientèle. Did it taste the same? I was given a plate of spaghetti first. I asked about the discrepancy, which is how I learned that the meatballs were served as the second course to be eaten separately.

Supposedly our traditional dish of spaghetti and meatballs is wholly American. It was created by the Italian immigrants living in the Unite States. I think it’s pretty common to adapt recipes in new locations either out of necessity or because tastes change. I never fact checked that information though. Maybe the establishment I dined at years ago was just running behind and that was their way of dealing with the American who wanted meatballs served on top of the spaghetti. Was I punked?

Thanks for all the helpful information! I don’t know how I managed to forget lasagna, @Volcano. Also, thanks @WTB for the tidbit about steaks in Tuscany. I didn’t know that.

Thanks for clarifying! I had the food from when I was little, so I thought it was originally Italian’s way of eating spaghetti and meatballs together. Yes, I think the taste is already altered using the local spices. Even the Bolognese I have here and the original Italian Bolognese may be different. (At least I know the pizza is!)

I love a good meaty sauce over spaghetti noodles with lots of parmesan cheese. There are plenty of beef dishes served in Italy. Just google “beef in Italy” and you’ll see a wide variety. They all look and sound delicious.